12.01.2010

Random

I wonder if it means anything when someone says that they DON'T want something on their sandwich as opposed to people who say what they DO want on their sandwich.  Can those two groups of people be different in other ways besides how they ask for toppings?  I saw this guy on the train knitting.  His look didn't necessary say 'knitter' but that's what you get in this city.  I was in the bathroom at the Merchandise Mart recently and was peering through the stall door at the guy who was washing his hands.  He took forever to wash his hands and when he was finally done, I saw him peer in the mirror through the crack of the stall.  I couldn't believe how rude the employees were in the Mart as I was trying to find the bathroom.  No one is friendly anymore.  I find that as I grow I discover more pet peeves that I own.  It's almost entirely work related.  How can someone be on the phone the entire time they are ordering food?  It's pretty rude if you ask me.  I have plenty more.  Another year means another year of me hating the BCS.  Somehow, this past week, Auburn came from 21 down to barely beat Alabama while Oregon routed Arizona but the two teams flip flopped in the standings.  How is that possible?  I read this article recently that said blaming the 'computers' for the BCS is the wrong way to look at it.  Humans made the formulas that the computer uses.  In the past, when the humans didn't like the numbers the computer generated, they simply changed the formulas the computers used.  I think that's the right way to look at it. It's our fault.  Until the BCS is thrown by the wayside, I cannot be a fan of college football.  I just cheer for the underdogs.  Mostly, that means Boise St.  It's tough to realize that we are entering a long winter.  It's just the beginning now.  I feel like I'm getting strapped in for a long roller coaster ride knowing I won't be able to get off the ride until April. That's harsh.  I'm listening to the newest Kanye West album.  He's legit.  No way around it.  The gap between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is too small.  Why can't we spread these holidays out a bit more?  It's tough to make a change in the world.  I was reading a book while spending some time in the bathroom over Thanksgiving break.  It was about simplifying your life.  One of the chapters was titled "In 100 years, all new people".  The point was that in 100 years, no one living now will still be living.  If you can accept that, I feel like you can live life freely.  Don't regret.  Auto tune really sucks but this album is still really good.  I brought some Boulevard Wheat back from St. Louis.  I've always said it is my favorite beer but I'm starting to think that it's time to move on from it.  I still really love it but enough to consider it my favorite?  Probably not.  The search is on for my new favorite.  College basketball season started and I couldn't be more excited.  It's the best sport out there.  So with this short time in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, there is a lot to do in preparation for the big one.  I had a discussion about God over the break.  It was a good one but I don't think it made any progress in either direction.  It reminded me of this thought I had a few years ago.  It went like this, "Are we smart enough to have a God or are we too smart to have a God."  What I mean by each thought is this...The first half is asking if human beings are special enough for God to have created us.  We have rational thought and make towns and cities and governments and so on.  Are we special enough to have a creator?  The other half is asking the opposite.  It is asking if we, as humans, are so smart, in science and technology, that we have ruled God out.  Are we to the point that we have come to see that God simply cannot exist.  I think it's an interesting thought.    These are random thoughts.

No comments: