6.14.2011

New York, New York

After a 2 hour delay, including 1 hour sitting on the plane, I made it to New York.  Walking out onto 7th Ave at 33rd St was exhilarating.  I tried to get a cab but found a big line.  I figured I could take it on myself.  I started walking to 1st Ave to find a cab there.  I walked from 7th Ave to Park Ave and found a cab there but was refused when I said I needed to get to 104th.  LAME.  I found the 6 and had to pull my bags through the turnstile, backwards.  I let 2 trains pass before I got on.  Not so bad.  The car was air conditioned and I got to sit for most of the ride.  So I make it to the 103rd St station and walk the 4 blocks to 1st Ave.  Josh meets me half way and carries half my stuff.  Thankfully, too, because I was sick of it.

Now I am here and it feels weird.  I guess this is my home now but is it?  I don't know where to get groceries or how to read the subway map.  I suppose that is the fun of it but it's a bit depressing in the little moments that feel so alone.  I'm excited to wake up tomorrow with the first full day in front of me.  I'm not really sure what I am going to do but I'm excited for the possibilities and I hope I continue to be excited by those possibilities for a long time ahead.  I know that Chicago was a great basis for a jumping point to New York.  It laid a great foundation for me as far as city life goes.

This is totally ramble-y.  I had more thoughts but apparently forgot them when I decided to type.  I'm good at that.

1 comment:

anniet23 said...

what do you mean you don't know how to read a subway map? of course you do. you've guided us through paris, rome and london using subway maps. geesh. you can do this! or maybe it's time to get that iPhone so fights half the battle for you. :)